The release of new features for the first smartwatch app for people with vision disabilities was announced by Novartis Pharmaceuticals. The smartwatch app call ViaOpta is a turn-by-turn navigation app that allows users to navigate daily life with greater ease and fits seamlessly into their existing routines.
The additional new features include:
- Points of Interest Feature: The user can discover points of interest near their location and:
- Find information about it
- Set Navigation to it
- Find information on accessibility facilities around them
- Extended Map Coverage: Map coverage has been extended worldwide, however it is less in rural areas
- New Object Recognizer Feature: Identifies objects when the user points the devise’s camera at an object.
- Addition of Scene Recognizer Feature: When the user points the camera in a specific direction the voiceover will tell them what is in front of them, helping them navigate unfamiliar environments.